Monday, November 12, 2012

Review: The Dragondain


Title: The Dragondain (The Moon Realm Series #2)
Author: Richard Due
Page Count: 310
My Rating: 5 TURTLES: AMAZING read. I loved this book, and it's going on my favorites shelf forever! You must get a copy of this book!

Description:

It's the middle of the night, you need to send your brother to the Moon Realm, and he won’t wake up. So you improvise. . . .

When a confused Jasper awakes, he's convinced he's dreaming. But by the time he meets Greydor, Jasper understands that this is no dream. In fact, persuading the King of the Rinn to work with the men of Dain to defeat their common enemy is a nightmare. Then there’s the other side of the coin: convincing Tavin and Dubb that saddling a Rinn isn’t certain death. (“It’ll be fun!”) And perhaps even a greater worry: can he make friends with Dubb’s daughter Darce before she punches his lights out?

Lily has problems, too. There’s a little mousie scratching in her closet. Or at least, it sounds like a little mousie. Oh, and her second confrontation with Curse, and trying to form her first peerin. (Don’t you have to be from Dain to do that?) And where’s Ebb?

One thing’s for sure: now that Lily and Jasper have entered the Moon Realm, nothing can ever be the same again.

Review:

I loved this book. Once again Richard Due weaves the wondrous and enchanting tales of the Moon Realm. The Dragondain did not suffer from one iota of “sequel slump”; in fact, it picked up even more from The Moon Coin. In fantasy novels, one of the main things I look for is the world building, and the world of the Moon Realm is so realized, so complete, it could almost be a real place. Because of all the details, I found myself wanting to go back and look at the previous book, The Moon Coin, and remind myself some of the particulars.

Every once in a while you find a book that has all the elements of a story that you adore, is beautifully written, and is strong enough to stand on its own without the author feeling like they have to add some superfluous flashy love triangle or the popular paranormal creature du jour to get people interested in buying it.  The Dragondain is one of those books for me.

While The Dragondain is targeted for the Middle Grade/ younger Young Adult audience, but can easily be enjoyed and loved by all ages. Now, due to the extent of detail, this is not a series where you can pick up the sequel without first reading the previous book (I guarantee you will be truly lost), but I cannot recommend you read this series highly enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!