Friday, October 7, 2011

Author Interview: Nichole Chase


Today I am very excited to say that I scored an interview with Nichole Chase, author of the amazing Dark Betrayal Trilogy! (you can see my 5 star review of Mortal Obligation HERE).

Q. When did you know that you wanted to become a writer?

A. I think that I have always known that I wanted to be a writer, but I never really admitted it. It wasn't until recently that I really allowed myself to reach for that dream. It seemed like so many people wanted to be an author, to tell stories that other people would enjoy, yet very few of them actually managed to make it. With the changes in publishing, technology, and the mind set of readers, being an indie seemed like the best fit for me. I hated the thought of spending hours slaving over a manuscript that may never see the light of day. Now, that isn't an issue. Depending on how much work you put into your book and the story that you have to tell, the readers get to decide if the book is any good. For me, that was the point where I decided, "I'm doing this. I'm going to finish this book and put it out there for the world to decide." It was scary, but liberating at the same time. It was the first time in my life where I truly felt that I was grabbing the reigns and taking charge. It all depended on me.

Q. Who is your favorite author? Why?

A. Oh, man. There is NO way I can choose just one. How about I give you three with short reasons? Anne McCaffrey, is one of my favorite fantasy/ SciFi authors of all time. The worlds that she creates are magical, her characters are realistic, and the resolutions are epic. J.R.R. Toilkein, the father of most high fantasy written today. He broke the mold with his amazing insight. I never tire of reading his books. J.K. Rowlings; what is there to not love? She reached for her dream, made it her own, and is one of the most successful writers of all time. Is there anyone that has not heard of Harry Potter? She had me hooked within the first two pages of the Sorcerers Stone. I went to the midnight releases, because I could not STAND the thought of not reading the books as soon as they were released. If you haven't seen her speech for the graduating class at Harvard, it is a must. It completely illustrates exactly why she is one of my personal hero's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkREt4ZB-ck

Q. What was your inspiration for the Dark Betrayal Trilogy?

A. I don't think that there is any one thing that inspired the trilogy. It was a combination of many things: An incredibly over active imagination, a love for all things paranormal, the beautiful yet creepy scenery of historic Savannah, and my interest in mythology. Honestly, the entire series started with an image of a girl walking through one of the downtown squares, looking over her shoulder at something following her. That was it, I had to know what was following her and how she was going to take care of it. My imagination began to spin out a series of events.

Q. Who is your favorite character in these books? (Or if that’s too tricky who is your favorite character to write?)

A. I love writing all of them, but of course that is because they are like my babies in a way. I love writing about Ree learning to cope with the trials and responsibilities placed on her. Of course, I also love writing Paden and Roland. Ah, the angst! Paden, battling his conscious and his heart. Roland, battling his internal demons and dark past, hiding behind his sense of humor. I can't forget Juliette, the snarky, yet loyal friend. Bryce, the only one that stays calm and holds a wisdom beyond his years. Weylin, gosh, he is fun to write! I am guilty of cracking up over the things he says. And I can't forget Melanie. She is the one character loosely based on someone I know-- My younger sister, is beautiful, intelligent, and tough. (Happy birthday, sis!)

Q. Do you know when we can expect Mortal Defiance to be out?

A. Mortal Defiance will be out in early December of this year. I'm currently finishing up the current draft and getting ready to send it out to beta readers before sending it to my amazing editor, Anne of Victory Editing.

Q. Do you follow any sort of ‘schedule’ with your writing?

A. I wish I could schedule writing time a little better than I do, but to be honest it is almost impossible with a toddler running around the house. I fit it in where I can, usually late at night. My husband also lets me run away to the coffee shop on the weekends so that I can write uninterrupted. That time is sacred to me! I get my most writing done in that manner- away from the house where there is usually something always waiting to be done.

Q. Are you working on any other projects?

A. At this time, my attention is taken up with the Dark Betrayal Trilogy. I have a couple of things waiting in the wings for when I am able to get to them. Two adult series, a short story, and two young adult series. i wonder which one will win the 'what's next lottery'.
I may post a little about those projects on my blog when I have some free time, but they are still in the planning stage at this point.

Q. What advice would you give to young aspiring writers?

A.
1.Just do it. Seriously. Sit down and write.
2.Treat it like a job and make time for it the same way you would a project that you are getting paid for by an employer.
3.Read everyday. It's the best way to hone your craft. Stephen King (hate him or love him, you can't deny his skill and success) says that you should read for so many hours a day and write for so many hours a day. I completely agree.
4.Invest in a good thesaurus or dictionary program and learn as much as you can about the current technology. It doesn't matter whether you are going the indie route or the traditional route, you should know as much as possible about the industry and the current trends as possible.
5.If there is something you aren't sure about, ask! Critique partners (honest ones) and good beta readers will keep you in line and make sure you don't miss any plot threads and that your characters don't do things that would be out of character.

Thanks again to Ms. Chase for doing this interview!

Author Blog

Buy The Book:

Amazon
(It is also available on Kindle)
Barnes and Noble

4 comments:

  1. Great interview! =) Tolkein & Rowling are the best. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview! If you have time swing by and check out my interview with K.C. Blake plus giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being able to "pick the brains" of creative people is rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the interview!!

    Nice to know that writing can be done with toddlers :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!