Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Review: Mortal Obligation


Title: Mortal Obligation
Author: Nicole Chase
Publisher: Self-published
My Rating: 5/5
Author Blog

Description: (from GoodReads)

Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out.

Seventeen year old Ree McKenna has three goals: get through high school, convince her crush she is more than his best friend’s little sister, and save money for college. Fate, though, has other plans for her. After the untimely death of her older brother, Ree is haunted by dreadful nightmares and terrifying visions. To make matters worse, Ree has started to suspect that something dangerous is stalking her from the shadows.

A night full of frightening surprises leaves Ree with unsettling news. Gifted by the gods with unusual powers, she must devote herself to a battle that could very well lead to not only her death, but the demise of everyone she knows and loves. After all, Ree is the only mortal standing between the Earth and utter darkness.

Set in Savannah, Ga, Mortal Obligation is the first book of The Dark Betrayal Trilogy.

Review:

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been able to get this up earlier, I have been really busy and only had time to do memes and things related to the giveaway. Hopefully I'll be able to start posting reviews more regularly again now. *crosses fingers*

I loved this book. I had been following the author's blog for a while prior to the book's release and the premise had intrigued me: a young adult urban fantasy, a character that stands between the certain destruction of the human race, and the promise of a romantic side story. My type of book. It took me about a chapter to really get into it, but after that it just got better and better.

I really liked Ree, I thought she was a spunky, well developed character. And it was great because it wasn't just her and one other friend against the darkness, there was a whole cast of characters each with their own distinct personalities. I have to say though, that my favorite character is Roland. I kinda heart him. Like a lot.

The pacing was really good also. I think it is really hard - especially since I am a fantasy writer myself- to write a fantasy and tell the reader everything about the new world or version of the world in a way that is interesting and not just a list of all the things that are different. You can't really have a whole chapter dedicated to describing how this is different than that and so on. I thought that Nicole Chase did a good job slipping information in without losing my attention.

I definitely recommend this book, it was a great read. There aren't any final dates as to when the second book will be released, but when I asked Nicole on her blog she said it would be before Christmas, so it can't be that long of a wait unlike some certain authors I could name *coughs* Christopher Paolini, Cassandra Clare *coughs*. Anyway, check this book out, you'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

  1. I lurve Savannah though I haven't been there. I've been obsessed with the place since reading MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that the pacing is good. I agree that that is one of the hardest things to get right. You don't want an info dump but you don't want to be completely lost either.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!