Saturday, January 18, 2014

Review: Feeling Sorry for Celia

Title: Feeling Sorry For Celia
Author: Jaclyn Moriarty
Page Count: 276
My Rating: 4 TURTLES: A great read, I definitely recommend.

Synopsis:
Life is pretty complicated for Elizabeth Clarry. Her best friend Celia keeps disappearing, her absent father suddenly reappears, and her communication with her mother consists entirely of wacky notes left on the fridge. On top of everything else, because her English teacher wants to rekindle the "Joy of the Envelope," a Complete and Utter Stranger knows more about Elizabeth than anyone else.

But Elizabeth is on the verge of some major changes. She may lose her best friend, find a wonderful new friend, kiss the sexiest guy alive, and run in a marathon.
So much can happen in the time it takes to write a letter...

A #1 bestseller in Australia, this fabulous debut is a funny, touching, revealing story written entirely in the form of letters, messages, postcards and bizarre missives from imaginary organizations like The Cold Hard Truth Association.

Review:
I got this book for Christmas and was intrigued by the different style by which it was told. The story is told through a series of letters, faxes, and sticky notes, so Moriarty had to be very clever about how she structured her story. She had to make it so the reader would get the whole story, but have the letters seem real and not just there for the sake of filling in the story. I thought she did a wonderful job with this, and once I adjusted to the new format, I really enjoyed the originality!

The story tilts on the precipice of totally believable to totally ludicrous, and I don’t know why that works, but in this case it does. I think part of it is because the Elizabeth Clarry is a funny, strong, dynamic character who is grounded and keeps the story together with her humorous yet touching narration.

Feeling Sorry for Celia is a witty, poignant, original bildungsroman, but because many of the letters and notes are short it is also a very quick read. It is a wonderful read for anybody who enjoys YA contemporary fiction (and it takes place in Australia, which is super cool – I haven’t read many non-travel books in this genre that are centered outside of the US). I definitely recommend it!




1 comment:

  1. Haven't heard of this one but I will have to pick it up!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!