Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Harvest Moon

Happy last day of summer! More like unhappy last day of summer I know, but this last night of the season is something spectacular, so it can not be all that bad. Tonight is the harvest moon, and it has been a while since I posted, so I figured that I would write a poem about it.

Harvest Moon

The brilliant red maple leaf carried on a wind born of mountain's breath signals her coming.
As does the departing geese's honking, and the frantic chittering of gathering squirrels.

She is greeted by the outstretched arms of the scarecrow, and the ever flitting bats, with their leathery wings that were cut out of the night itself.
Lighting the work of the midnight reaper, casting the cornfields in a silvery glow.

The still air is pierced, the keening of the coyote, his temptress more radiant that ever.
He and his kin, distracted in their hunt, bay in their longing.

The lady of the night, laying in her bed of black velvet and diamonds; mystifying in her secretive splendor, wraps herself in a flowing gown of clouds, with the silver lining embroidering the collar.

Her fingers of mist run threw the patchwork of cornfields, and of pumpkin patches, and open pasture.
Finding the howling pack of broken hearts, stroking their wiry fur, enfolding them in serenity.

causing a hush to ring across the land

2 comments:

  1. Larissa....love you harvest poem. keep on writing! Thanks for hopping by my blog. "Twinge" is still in the process of being sold...hope to have a pub date soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have given you the Versatile Blogger Award at: http://starbuckled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!