Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Author Interview: Laney Smith

How did you get the inspiration for your book?
I watched a movie where there was a line that didn't fit the character. It bothered me to the point that I wanted to write a story where the characters didn't have weird or awkward lines. I didn't have a story idea at that point. Then, I think it was the next day that I was driving in my car and a song came on the radio. I don't know what it was about that song, but it opened the flood gate and I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with it. The whole thing just rained down on me. It was a gift. I've always loved writing. But, I believe everything has a "season." Apparently, this is my season. I'm so in love with this story.

Could you talk a bit about your publication process/experience?
For me, it was very easy. I've learned a lot since I started. But, I had an editor and she was really good at catching me without altering my style, if that makes sense. A lot of editors take the author out of the story. So, I was happy to work with her. But, aside from that, I did it through Createspace and I'm not tech savvy. They have a cover creater that helps the author design their book cover. So, the fact that there is a finished product is a statement in itself. If I can do it, anyone can do it. 

If you could jump into the world of your favorite book, who would you be and what would you do?
It may sound arrogant, but I would have to jump into Lock Creek. I see this world non-stop and it's so beautiful. It's where I would want to be. The community, the friendships, the setting, and let's not forget Sheriff Derrick Decker! I would give Anne a run for her money and I'd try to steal Derrick away from her. Maybe I would be the new antagonist.

Are you currently working on any projects?
I'm always working on projects. I have so many stories wanting to be written. I have a real problem with how many stories flood in. They start strong and then another one comes up. It drives me insane. I really wish I could finish one before another one starts. 

What is something that surprises people about you?
I'm shy. I can stand in front of a room filled with people and give speeches. That doesn't bother me. I can meet tons of people and I usually remember them. But, if I'm just in my day-to-day life and I attend a party where I only know one or two people, I'm really shy and for some reason, that is a hang up for me.

What section of a bookstore do you go to first?
I don't have a habitual practice. I just roam. I get drawn to different things for different reasons. A bookstore for me is like an art museum. I walk through and stare at the art, picking up things that catch my eye. So, I just meander and wait for something to call to me.

Who's your fictional crush?
Sheriff Derrick Decker from Lock Creek. He's my dream guy. I love that he had a gentlemanly demeanor and he's chivalrous and polite. But, he's not stupid. He's got a cocky edge to him. It doesn't matter how beautiful a woman is, if she's trying to get over on him, he's smart enough to see through her and put her in her place. He's not superficial, and he sees beyond the pretty faces. If there's nothing beyond that, he's just not interested. That doesn't stop him from being polite and respectful. He's just amazing! 

If you could combine the storylines of two books, which ones would they be?
That's a good question. I participated in an anthology about the tenants of a building. Each author wrote about the tenants of each of the apartments in the building. We meshed a lot of the tenant stories, since they were neighbors, and that was very interesting. I'm terribly sorry. This is the first time anyone has stumped me with a question. I can't think of two books I would merge. Good job! You got me!

About the Book:
Lock Creek is a beautiful town. Plush, mature vegetation makes Lock Creek a very airy, cool, comforting bridge between man and nature. The towns’ people have little to no interest in growth. They are content to keep new people and their big corporate ideals out. The memories, the familiarity, and the predictability give the town a special certainty that the residents cherish. On the surface, Lock Creek is the perfect small town. Squeaky clean as it seems, Lock Creek has its share of dirty laundry. Sheriff Derrick Decker was raised in Lock Creek and is loved and adored by most of the people he serves. The majority sees him as a good, patient, honest and loyal man. There is no shortage of adoring ladies, hoping to win his affection. However, not everyone adores Derrick Decker. Some feel he is a con artist who has tricked the people of this community into believing in a fictitious hero. Is the noble Sheriff everything he seems? Or is he as corrupt as the rumors claim? Anne Howard is a shy, but sassy woman. This “girl next-door” is stubborn and loves the thrill of a good challenge. She moved to Lock Creek to be closer to her cousin and childhood best friend, Chelsea Rawlins. Running from her past, Anne sees Lock Creek as the perfect place to hide. Having underestimated this small town, when Anne’s past shows up in Lock Creek, she will be forced to give up the secrets she thought she had buried. After fate steps in, Anne and Derrick start seeing something in each other. Each with secrets from their past, these two people seem meant for each other. Their time together allows them to build a bond, stronger than stone. Like an inferno, their adoration for each other ignites all the right fires. However, Trevor Thomas extinguishes blazes for a living. When he comes to town for a wedding, will he be enough to snuff out the raging fire between Anne and Derrick? Welcome to Lock Creek!


About Laney:
Laney Smith (1974- ) was born in Little Rock, AR and raised in Texarkana, TX until her early teen years when she moved to Aurora, CO. As an adult, she has lived in Walls, MS and currently resides in southern California. She is the oldest of 3 kids and is the mother of two sons. She also has 5 nieces and 1 nephew. She has always had a passion for writing and first contributed poetry to an anthology in 1993-1994. She, later, wrote multiple articles for a local newspaper known as the City News Group. Her current passion is writing fiction - romantic mystery - specifically and is currently working on completing the Time Capsule Series. There is another work in progress for a stand-alone book (untitled at the time of this update). In addition, she has also contributed two pieces to "Tenants of Building 38," an anthology to help raised funds for the American Cancer Society. There is also another piece she submitted for an anthology titled "The Roses," which is another fundraising project for Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and is due for release in May 2015

Author's Website
Facebook
Twitter: @OYTLaneySmith
Goodreads
Amazon



Disclosure: this post contains links to an affiliate program (Amazon), for which I receive a few cents if you make purchases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!