Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Review: Recklessly Royal



Title: Recklessly Royal (Suddenly #2)
Author: Nichole Chase
Page Count: 384
My Rating: 3 TURTLES: An enjoyable read, but I suggest check out if you like the topic before adding it to your to-read list.


Synopsis:
Catherine has spent her life being the perfect princess. She’s kept her hands clean, her head down, and most importantly—men at arm’s length. After all, most men are after only one thing, and for Cathy there’s a lot more at stake than her bed; she has to worry about the fate of an entire nation. But at the rate she’s going, Cathy is afraid she’ll give the Virgin Queen a run for her money. She is tired of waiting for someone good enough to come along. She has a plan, and it all hinges on seducing the one man who seems utterly unimpressed by all things royal. The one man she is tempted by more than any other . . . 

When David arrives at the royal wedding of his friend, the newly ordained Duchess Samantha Rousseau, he expected to feel uncomfortable and out of his element, but he wasn’t prepared to be targeted by Prince Alex’s gorgeous younger sister. With Cathy’s giant blue eyes, killer figure, and sense of humor, it won’t take long before he gives in. But when he finds out just how innocent the crown princess really is, will he play the part of knight in shining armor or the dashing rogue?

Review:
I have been following Nichole Chase since she first started publishing her books, so needless to say I have been looking forward to Recklessly Royal since I finished The previous book in the series. Recklessly Royal is a fun, fluffy romance, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. Despite this, I would still recommend it to those who enjoyed Suddenly Royal or are looking for a sweet romance.

One thing I've always loved about Chase's stories are her secondary characters. She gives them such personality that I wish they had more screen time because they add a lot to the story from what they already do and say, and I was no different in Recklessly Royal (I really hope Chadwick gets his own story). I also loved the parts is the book where Cathy and David were together, they had reply good chemistry and I thought they were adorable.

Unfortunately, when the two were apart, I found the plot to be a bit boring. I shouldn't have since there was a lot going on, but it felt to me like it was just an in between time before David was written back into the picture. I think part of the problem that I had while reading didn't have so much to do with the story, but with a thing of personal preference. Personally, I am not a big fan of this new trend I'd writing a romance series where each book is another character's love story. I get used to the first one and have trouble adjusting. I loved Sam and Alex and missed the narration of their lives as much as I enjoyed hearing about David and Catherine. Those are the two major things that held me back from completely enjoying the book, but the we also a smaller annoyance that I kept noticing throughout he story as well: we're facial expressions. Okay, so maybe winking isn't a "weird" facial expression, but there's was sure a lot of it going on. In my life, I don't see many winks. And hey, maybe it's a thing in Lilaria. In reality though, it felt a bit overused. Now another expression used a lot that I have no idea what it is is eyebrow wiggling. Every time a character we trying to be suggestive or insinuate something they'd wiggle their eyebrows, and, I'm sorry, but I've never heard of or seen eyebrow wiggling before and to have it happen so frequently here seemed a bit odd and contrived. 

Overall though, I was very glad to be let back into Lilaria and I cannot wait for Reluctantly Royal. If you are a fan if New Adult romance, I definitely hop that you will check this series out. Chase creates adorable couples, and sweet, sexy love stories. I hope max and Meredith in book 3 will be as ship-worthy as Alex and Sam and Cathy and David.

Buy Recklessly Royal on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!