Monday, September 7, 2015

Author Interview: Lindsay Marie Miller

1. How did you get the inspiration for your book?
When I was a junior in high school, Twilight had wedged its way into the hands of every girl I went to school with. I bought the books, fell in love with Meyer’s writing, and ultimately, reading again - something that I hadn't done for fun since I was a little girl. After my second theater trip to see the film adaptation, I re-read Twilight and thought to myself, I can do this. So I did.
That night, I pulled out a small notebook and a pen, and remembered a short story I had written for an earlier English class, where a mysterious new student arrives on the first day of school. He would become my male lead, Tom Sutton. Everything blossomed from that one little story, and I am forever indebted to Stephenie Meyer for unlocking my mind.  If you’ve ever seen EL James interviewed, she mentions a similar reaction to Twilight, so I guess I’m not the only one.

2. Could you talk a bit about your publication process/experience?
Self-publishing is very hard work. By the same token, it is also very rewarding, enlightening, and valuable. I have learned so much over the past year about the publishing process. Drafting, Editing, Formatting, Copyright, Cover Art, Distribution, Marketing, I could go on. But I am very keen on awareness. I want to know what is going on with my novel at every stage. I want the creative control, and the opportunity to make important decisions. Ultimately, self-publishing gives you the freedom to push your dream of becoming a novelist as far as you are willing to take it.

3. If you could jump into the world of your favorite book, who would you be and what would you do?
Without a doubt, Scarlett O’Hara in Gone with the Wind. As Scarlett, I would open a dress shop where all of the clothing is made from curtains, toss my pride out the window, and find a way to get Rhett back. 

4. Are you currently working on any projects?
Yes, I am working on multiple projects right now. One is a follow-up to Emerald Green and will be released as the second book in the series. 

5. What is something that surprised people about you?
I’m also a singer-songwriter. I actually started writing songs years before I attempted to write fiction. I play the guitar and piano, and have probably written close to a hundred songs at this point. Maybe I’ll release some of them one day. We’ll see…

6. What is the most important thing being a writer has taught you?
Don’t force a story line that isn’t already there. In life, in love, in your career. My characters tell me the story; I don’t choose what happens to them. There’s a lesson to be learned from that. Let matters unfold naturally. You’d be surprised by all the things that you can draw to yourself when you’re not dwelling on them. 

7. If your book were made into a movie, what would the tagline on the poster say?
Find the necklace. 
Book BlurbOn a chilly December night in Savannah, Georgia, seventeen-year-old Addie Smith dreams of an alluring young man, too mysteriously handsome to be real. When spring semester commences the following week, at Maple Creek High, a new student, named Tom Sutton, arrives, bearing a striking resemblance to the beautiful stranger from Addie’s dream. Addie feels inextricably drawn to Tom, and his rare, unwavering resiliency, as the enchanting nature of first love takes hold. But when a cold-blooded criminal returns to Savannah, in pursuit of a long-forgotten possession, Addie must confront the darkest secrets of an elusive, hidden past that threaten to destroy her future. 


Author BioLindsay Marie Miller was born and raised in Tallahassee, FL, where she graduated from high school as Valedictorian. Afterwards, Lindsay attended Florida State University and graduated Summa Cum Laude with an English Literature major, Psychology minor, and Specialized Studies in Markets and Institutions. Lindsay began writing young-adult romances at the age of 16 and had completed 6 (unpublished) novels by the age of 20. Her debut novel, Emerald Green, has just been released as the first installment in a four-part series of young-adult romantic thrillers. In her free time, Lindsay enjoys singing, playing the piano and guitar, and writing songs. Lindsay currently resides in her hometown of Tallahassee, FL, where she enjoys summers under the sun, in the company of beloved family and friends. 

Contact/Buy Links: 
Twitter: @Lindsay_MMiller

Kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!