Saturday, November 3, 2012

Review: The 5 Moons of Tiiana


Title: The 5 Moons of Tiiana (The Chronicles of Rez Cantor #1)
Author: Paul T. Harry
Page Count: 466
Rating: 4 TURTLES: A great read, I definitely recommend.

Description:

Captain Rez Cantor is a Shadow Guard officer in the Imperial Army, and personal attaché to Princess Leanna, the sixteen-year-old daughter of the Emperor, and sole heir to the Melelan throne.

On the eve of a treaty signing ending the twelve-year-war between the alien-hybrid Relcor and the Empire, Rez Cantor learns that the Imperial family has been slated for death. Under orders from his Queen, Rez is given his final command–save the Princess at all costs.

Overcoming incredible odds, Rez abducts Leanna, and the two flee Melela along with others of the Imperial guard. Unfortunately, their ship is nuked as it enters warp creating an event horizon that sends the ship 128,000 light years across the galaxy to the Moons of Tiiana. It is on one of these moons that Rez awakens on a beach–injured and alone–without the Princess. So begins the sojourn of Rez Cantor upon the Moons of Tiiana….


Review:

The 5 Moons of Tiiana is an epic adventure from start to finish. The usual danger for me with reading longer books such as this one is that I sometimes get bored and take breaks. I will read other books and come back, but the tales of Rez Cantor kept me wanting to know what happened next. The story covers such a long length of time and the diverse lands of the different moons; it was really exciting to read. The worlds were thoroughly thought out, complete with their own history and culture. The sheer amount of detail on these worlds made them seem quite real though they are fictional moons set light-years away.

One thing that bothered me about this book though was the immense amount of blatant foreshadowing, which is something I’ve never said before. At first it didn’t annoy me to much, but around the fifth time Rez (the story is narrated through his point of view) said little did I know that what happened next would affect me for the rest of my life, or I would soon get the answers I sought it started to bug me. It took away some of the suspense of the book for me as well as brought me out of the moment. I would be into the scene and then I was told that something important was going to be happening soon, but seeing as I was going to be reading that next scene anyway it seemed very superfluous.

Despite that, I would not say it is a reason to not read the book, since overall I very much enjoyed it. If you are a fan of science-fiction or just adventure in general I would definitely recommend you check out The 5 Moons of Tiiana. I will definitely be reading the sequel – I want to know what adventures Rez Cantor will have next.



1 comment:

  1. Great review! I haven't heard of this, but you've intrigued me, hahaha! Though, I'm scared of the foreshadowing... which is funny because like you said, I'm usually embracing every hint that comes my way!

    Kristen @OCA

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I will definitely read anything that is left here. Don't be shy, I'd love to know what you are thinking!